Personal data and procedures
UM has concluded a data processing agreement with Qualtrics about processing low and middle-risk class personal data. It is also possible to process special (high-risk) personal data, when additional steps have been taken.
Special personal data are, for example, religion or belief, race, political preference, health, sexual orientation, membership of a trade union or a criminal record. A procedure is established that facilitates the processing of special personal data in current and new research with minimal risk. This procedure has been approved by the Data Protection Officer of our university.
In any case, anonymisation or pseudonimisation of your survey is mandatory when processing special personal data:
1. New studies
- No special personal data:
When you want to start a new survey without special personal data you can use Qualtrics and you do not need to take steps. Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
- One-off process of special personal data:
You can use Qualtrics but you need to approach your respondent via an anonymous link. Information how you can do this in Qualtrics. Also, questions and documents in your survey should not include any (combination of) data which could identify your participants. Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
- Several measuring moments with special personal data during your survey period:
Please contact your local division administrator, check the overview of UM local administrators in the section Help & Support below. Your local administrator can assist you with pseudonimising your data processing to protect the privacy of your participants in Qualtrics. Also, questions and documents in your survey should not include any (combination of) data which could identify your participants
Finished your survey? Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
2. Current studies including questions about ‘Special Personal Data’:
- You need to close your survey as soon as possible if you are not anonymising or pseudonomising all special personal data.
- Report also your local ‘division’ administrator that you or your students are currently using Qualtrics to collect ‘Special Personal Data’. Specify the name of your study and the expected end date of data collection.
- The moment your data collection is completed, download your data and delete the data from Qualtrics.
3. Completed studies that include ‘Special Personal Data’
- Download and then delete all data of the study immediately from Qualtrics.
A new functionality in Qualtrics is the File Upload. The file upload question type allows respondents to upload a file along with their survey response. Using this functionality, you can collect data that may not be available through standard survey questions. Please be aware that you are not allowed upload special personal data if (a combination of) this data could identify your participants
For more information, contact your local division administrator; check the overview of UM local administrators in the section Help & Support below.
Qualtrics is a worldwide leading survey tool, in terms of functionalities, security and privacy measures and is the only centrally supported survey tool at UM. Please don’t use other tools to create questionnaires, because they might be less safe and not compliant to the privacy laws (GDPR).